By Hallie Engel
Anyone in search of the perfect sailing timepiece should keep an eye trained on BaselWorld, where Alpina will debut the new Yachttimer Countdown.
The striking watch features a countdown window with a fluorescent start indicator, ideal for anyone looking to break ahead in a race. The triangular seconds hand is also brightly coloured for easy visibility, while those for minutes and hours are white, allowing them stand out against the black face of the watch.
The unidirectional sapphire compass bezel is graduated over 360°, while the tough rubber strap will withstand the elements, though mesh and metal bracelet options are also available. In the event of man overboard, the Yachttimer is water resistant to 300 meters and Alpina states that it’s “as much at home skimming the waves as down at the yacht club.”
– Mechanical automatic movement, AL-880 calibre
– Yachttimer countdown
– Stainless steel 44 mm case
– Unidirectional rotating bezel with 360° graduation
– Water-resistant to 300m
– Countdown window from zero to four and fluorescent Start indicator between 12 and 3 o’clock
– Fluorescent orange seconds hand
– Black rubber strap